Sunday 8 August 2010

R.I.P.

I just found out that Tony Judt died.

I only became aware of him last year when I bought a rather sizeable book called Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945, he being the author. It's an excellent read, and one which I would recommend to anyone with an interest in modern history . I feel like my perspective has been greatly enriched, not just on past events but also many aspects of very current events.

I began reading it in March last year, and it immediately felt like one of those books to savour, to read at a leisurely pace and to take it in as fully as I possibly could (still plenty of it went over my head, it will merit another read some time). I finished it at the beginning of December, happy to have got through it all but with a tinge of sorrow at putting down something I'd been immersed in for so long.

I know next to nothing about the man himself, except that he became ill with motor neurone disease in recent years. Nonetheless, that one book has had a huge impact on me, and it felt only right to say as much here.

Respectfully then, R.I.P. Tony Judt.

4 comments:

Zhoen said...

Have requested it from the library. Thank you.

Carol said...

That sounds really interesting...I shall have to check it out!

C x

Reading the Signs said...

(o)

trousers said...

Hope you get something from it, Zhoen.

Same goes for you, Carol.

I've read a lot of modern history in recent years, so this slotted neatly into that context as well as greatly enhanced it for me.

Signs, hi.