Saturday 29 August 2009

Gift/ tension

I was given a gift last night - unexpected, out of the blue (I wonder, if one were to look into the blue beforehand, would it mean there were no surprises?), and very welcome also. A very generous gift.

It was laced with a certain something: the words, it's one less thing that you would need to deal with, should anything happen.

The anything in question being the passing, timely or otherwise, of the giver.

I didn't focus on this too much though: I'm playing tonight, and I'm a little nervous. OCD comes into play - how many times do I need to check I've got all the leads, power cables, plectrums etc that I need - and, what if the laptop crashes, what if the guitar strings all break, what if my fingers fall off and so on and so forth. Yes I'm tempting fate, but I like the tension.

Then I remember, it should actually be fun. Plus, after a couple of beers, and having to deal with the rigours of setting up, soundchecking and so on - the actualities rather than the what ifs - then the OCD should fly out of the window (checking 3 times that it closed the window properly after departing), and the whole thing will be over all too quickly.

8 comments:

nmj said...

Three times is ideal, I used to check everything six times when I was younger... good luck with playing tonight.

Zhoen said...

RItual has it's place, especially for us paranoids.

Enjoy.

trousers said...

Thanks both: heading out in a few minutes...

Fire Byrd said...

By the time you read this it will have happpened, so I hope it went really well, and YOU enjoyed it.

I haven't any gifts to give you except my friendship, but yours back to me is worth gold and diamonds.
xx

Rosaria Williams said...

Confidence comes from practice beforehand. That's the gift you can give yourself everytime you play, the knowledge that you've done this many times before.

Anonymous said...

Let us know how it goes - good luck.

trousers said...

Thanks very much Fire Byrd, and to lakeviewer and zhisou too, see the subsequent post :)

Merkin said...

I have just the song for you!!