Sunday 27 April 2008

"Current Listening" type of post

Well amongst other things this weekend, I've been listening quite obsessively to Hex Enduction Hour, The Unutterable, Levitate, Extricate, Are You Are Missing Winner, Grotesque (After The Gramme) and This Nation's Saving Grace. To name but a select few.

Why?

Because Imperial Wax Solvent is released tomorrow, that's why.




I'm talking, of course, about albums by The Fall - a band I quite like (understatement). One idea for a recurring blog post I had (but never got round to) was to be a "Current Listening" type of post entitled "Apart from The Fall, this week I have been listening to....", such is the regularity with which I tend to listen to them.

As with one of my other favourites, Einstürzende Neubauten, I could go on and on about them ad infinitum (or ad nauseum for some, I'm sure) - but I'll just mention one thing which comes to mind:

I was on a long car journey with a friend and two acquaintances, and we had been variously listening to the radio and to cds. My friend, who was driving, turned to me and asked me to put some more music on, and I found a copy of Are You Are Missing Winner in amongst the stack of cds. I turned it up and 30 seconds or so of music passed without comment until Mark E Smith's unmistakable drawl practically drowned out everything else and, to my great amusement, resulted in spontaneous cheers from the two other passengers in the back of the car. One of them said something which I've always remembered since: "The thing about The Fall is, even their worst albums are brilliant!"

Still, from the reviews I've seen so far, Imperial Wax Solvent sounds like it's going to be a real cracker.

4 comments:

J.J said...

Totally awesome post man.


Sorry! Could not help myself.

Anonymous said...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Fire Byrd said...

oooh it's so tempting..... awes..... No, can't do it!!!
pxx

Anonymous said...

Glad you managed to resist pix :)