Tuesday 20 November 2007

Carpet Squad

I thought I'd write something about work. Not a moan this time: my overall feelings haven't changed in that respect, but today was one of those increasingly rare days which reminded me why I enjoyed this kind of work in the first place.

It wasn't an easy day, and to be honest I wasn't looking forward to it. I shan't go into any detail about the individuals that I was working with, for obvious reasons. Suffice it to say that there have been some extremely challenging circumstances for those concerned, and today was potentially pivotal for each of them.

Well I've come home at the end of the working day feeling quite fulfilled and satisfied, I'd practically forgotten what that feeling was like. I feel like I've been able to make use of the skills that I've got, and - to use what becomes an ever-more hackneyed expression - to play a role in making a difference. To be able to help to navigate a possible way forward.

The refreshing thing is that I've been able to do that without any politics or paperwork getting in the way, thus enabling me to get a lot of things done in a fairly straightforward and unhindered manner.

I don't hold out any high hopes of having a similar kind of day again for a while, but today really was quite refreshing. Don't ask me why I called this post Carpet Squad though, I don't have any rational explanation.

9 comments:

Fire Byrd said...

Yes, but do you have an irrational one?
Glad you had a good day, they make all the shite bearable, at least sometimes.
pxx

Anonymous said...

Seconded. A hard day is good to find.


Or something.

zola a social thing said...

zwq9900ps

trousers said...

Too many irrational ones to mention, pixie: yes, you're right, especially with the addition of the word sometimes...

Well put szwag :)

zola, possibly, but sometimes that's easier said than done. It's something I've given a lot of thought to over the last few months though.

Or are you just inventing word verifications now that I've removed mine?

DJ Kirkby said...

Wow a day with no paperwork or 'politicking'! Are you sure you actually did go to work?

J.J said...

Yes I wondered about the 'Carpet Squad' title!


I am off topic now but have been rather too indiscreet on my blog and as a result have had to go 'underground' for a while and restrict access to bloggers I know. If you would like to still see it send me your e-mail address to cobblerjane@yahoo.co.uk and I will sort it.

Cheers from
Jane The Very Stupid.

trousers said...

Hi dj, I'll explain: I managed to get a minimum of paperwork done, since I could defer that to the following day; the lack of politics was due to the fact that the bulk of what I was doing was away from the office and any other such bureaucratic..er..things.

The irony is that dealing with some difficult issues on the front line, as it were, felt less like work than all the admin and office-based stuff I have to deal with on an ever-increasing basis.

Hi j.j. - thanks for that. Haven't been over to yours for a while so I'll take that comment as a timely reminder too :)

Pants said...

Intriguing Trews. I don't have anything but bad days at the moment but since I'm taking the rest of my life off in a about three weeks time, I'm enduring it stoically.

xxx

Pants

trousers said...

Hi pants.

I'm jealous. That aside, I think it's great that that's what you're doing :)